01 02 03 Amorina Rose Writes: A New Year Dream 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A New Year Dream

34
Hi, Kay here.

No New Year resolutions for me. Life seems way too far out of my control to believe I could make a resolution that I could stick to. No, I’m just going to dream…

… imagine not having to go to work, being free to write stories, all day, every day…

… and not having to worry about money. Everyone is so keen to read my books, they shower me with the stuff. What do you call it? Royalties, as if I were a blue-blooded monarch…

… and there’s a Fairy-godeditor who turns my fumbling attempts at novels into sparkling, magical books, which suddenly appear on the shelves (real and virtual) of every bookshop in the land…

Hang on. Time for a reality check.

Being out of work and free to write stories all day, every day? Been there, done that. And in all honesty, it drives you mental. Seriously MENTAL. Having a proper job is like eating your greens. Yes, I do that too because, believe it or not, I’m all grown up now.

Not having to worry about money? Hahaha. Okay, so maybe the occasional author gets rich if they’re good enough and savvy enough and get lucky. It won’t be me and if it was I’d hate it. Seriously, HATE IT. Not the money, but what goes with it – the expectations, the pressures, the turning of my wonderful hobby into another kind of drudgery. Ever wondered why the Cinderella story stops when she achieves her dream and marries the prince?

The Fairy god-editor? Now that’s a hard dream to let go, but I’m coming to see that there would be a price for being chosen by one of those mythical beings. Like the loss of control over my own work, how it’s presented and to whom, not mention most of any profits. Now if I could just learn to make my own wand and chant my own spells…

Okay, time for another dream…

… imagine having a couple of free hours every day to myself, in which  to forget real life but just write and dream and write about dreams…

… imagine having a job that provides enough security for me and my family, but which I can leave behind at the end of each working day…

… and imagine that, just maybe, with some study and work and help from my friends, I might learn how to get my novels out there without the need for a ‘proper’ publisher.   

Now that’s looking more like an achievable dream for 2016.
Wishing my fellow dreamers a wonderful New Year!


Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38