01 02 03 Amorina Rose Writes: New beginnings 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

New beginnings

34

Like everyone else out there I am hoping the New Year will bring lots of opportunities to make our lives better.  I am not necessarily thinking of anything complicated like geographical changes, or relationships, or even things related to money but rather that we get the chance to do the things we want to do.  I often think back on my life and know the hiccups have always seemed harder when I had to walk away from things I wanted to do and do what had to be done.  Choices are important, both having them and being able to make them.

With this in mind I have been giving a lot of thought to my writing.  This is hopefully going to be that year where things happen and there are plans afoot to self-publish an anthology with Kay and Alison, a release hopefully of a book each and a website.  Big plans as you can see, scary plans because these things are close to our hearts. Interestingly enough as I was pondering, as you do often when words fail while you sit at the computer, I found this very pertinent  piece by Cara Brookins ( a most interesting writer I came across through mixing with other writers).  As always I will provide a link for you to read more but I thought I would first discuss a little about my reactions to her ideas. 

Briefly she advocates writing for the right reasons and obviously in order to do this we have to know the reasons and then understand exactly what we are getting ourselves into. She actually says we should do our “thing, and do it for your own reasons. But you should leap in with a full knowledge of the sharks and fuzzy ducklings in the pond.”  I loved that last part about the sharks and those cute little ducklings. It is so easy to get caught up in the fuzzy and warm feeling and forget that writing like most things involves hard work. What is worse is that other people often fail to get that.

Over Christmas my own brother’s attitude was at first a genuine interest but then when it interfered with something he wanted me to do it the interest changed to an almost humouring the girl attitude that really upset me.  He didn’t even know he was doing it.  People don’t understand it is work apparently unless you are JK Rowling forgetting how hard she had it when she was first starting and trying desperately to fit it (the writing, the not a real job writing) into her “normal” life.

So let’s have a look at what Cara has to say about the right reasons to write, that is after she tells us to stop writing.  Yes, that’s right.  She says exactly that and she is right because it is a most difficult thing to do.  On a personal level I get obsessed and wake up in the middle of the night sure I have not explained why Nico, my sexy and very tough nut to crack lead, behaved the way he did.  Then I remember I have to let my readers work it out for themselves and that makes me crazier.  Can I stop writing (hey, I am not even published and may never be) I ask and the answer is always the same. No I can’t. Cara says this is a right reason to write.  I agree but kinda wish I didn’t

Another reason she considers a good one is writers can fix the world with their words.  It’s very true, words fix and hurt and make us think.  I am a reader first and foremost and can’t imagine a world without those precious words.  Those same words also brings us immortality by allowing us to leave a small mark and though it may seem egotistical, trust me, it’s not at all about the ego but about knowing we are not alone in our thoughts, desires, feelings, someone out there gets it too.  For me that last reason is super important.  I have felt alone and have found solace in words proving I am not and never was or will be alone. 

Cara also points out other right reasons equally as important but these I will leave for you to go search out on her website.  It is well-worth the effort as it is informative and also humourous particularly the discussion on making money.  I mean who doesn’t want to make money?  I do but honestly there are easier ways to make money, less frustrating and time-consuming ways that are not dependent on luck.  Of course talent plays a part in the outcome but sitting at a desk for hours at a time, writing, re-writing, and then throwing yourself at the mercy of other people’s opinion plays an even bigger part of the writer’s life.  You have to choose it understanding all of this or it won’t work and even then there are no guarantees.

The New Year for me is about writing.  I am making the choice because I want it this way and honestly despite my fears I can’t think of anything I would rather do.  I don’t have any resolutions but I do know I am prepared to work as hard as I can to ensure I don’t let me or my readers (please let me have some) down.
For more from Cara go to http://carabrookins.com/seven-right-reasons-to-write-a-book/

Until next time,

Ciao
Barb


Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38